Stock exchange releases
Half year financial report
24 August 2017 at 6.10 p.m.
Kojamo plc: Half Year Financial Report 1 January-30 June 2017
Summary of January-June 2017
- Turnover totalled EUR 167.2 (182.3) million. Turnover is generated entirely by rental income. Turnover decreased due to the divestments of rental apartments in 2016 and early 2017.
- Profit before taxes amounted to EUR 136.8 (105.3) million. The profit includes EUR 67.5 (56.2) million in net valuation gain on the fair value assessment of investment properties and EUR 1.3 (-26.9) million in capital gains and losses on investment properties. The profit increase resulted primarily from larger changes in the fair value, higher income from the divestment of investment properties and lower financial costs than in the comparison period.
- Net rental income was EUR 106.0 (116.5) million, representing 63.4 (63.9) per cent of turnover. Net rental income decreased due to the divestments of rental apartments in 2016 and early 2017.
- The financial occupancy rate remained high, standing at 96.6 (96.9) per cent during the review period.
- Gross investments during the period totalled EUR 129.4 (89.9) million. Gross investments were 77.4 (49.3) per cent of turnover.
- The fair value of investment properties was EUR 4.4 (3.6) billion. Return on investment was 7.6 (7.1) per cent.
- There were 1,835 (1,303) Lumo apartments under construction at the end of the review period.
- Kojamo owned 33,877 (32,736) rental apartments on 30 June 2017.
Summary of April-June 2017
- Turnover totalled EUR 83.6 (86.4) million. Turnover decreased due to the divestment of rental apartments.
- Profit before taxes amounted to EUR 78.5 (51.0) million. The profit includes EUR 44.0 (42.1) million in net valuation gain on fair value assessment.
- Net rental income was EUR 53.4 (55.8) million, representing 63.8 (64.5) per cent of turnover. Net rental income decreased due to the divestment of rental apartments.
- The financial occupancy rate remained high, standing at 96.4 (97.0) per cent during the period.
- The Group’s gross investments during the period totalled EUR 64.4 (46.2) million.
Unless otherwise stated, the comparison figures in brackets refer to the corresponding period of the previous year.
The figures in this Half Year Financial Report have not been audited.
CEO Jani Nieminen: Kojamo diversified its financing and continues on the path of strategic growth
We diversified our financing to ensure the achievement of our strategic goals. The public credit rating and the Eurobond listed on the Irish Stock Exchange support the company’s goal of investing in Lumo homes in the urbanising Finland.
We are very pleased to have been able to acquire international financing to increase well-being in Finland. On 30 May 2017, Moody’s Investor Service issued a long-term credit rating of Baa2 with a stable outlook for Kojamo plc. The company subsequently issued a EUR 500 million unsecured bond that was listed on the official list of the Irish Stock Exchange and admitted for trading on its regulated market. Kojamo’s first Eurobond was offered to a large number of European investors and oversubscribed in a matter of hours.
We invest in rental housing to support, among other things, the migration of people in pursuit of employment in the urbanising Finland. Kojamo currently has 1,835 Lumo apartments under construction. The focus of our operations is on the seven main urban regions of Finland and we respond to the demand for rental apartments especially in the Helsinki region. Kojamo’s share of the entire rental housing market is approximately four per cent.
We have a strong emphasis on the development of our operations. We are increasingly investing in digital services, the customer experience and our corporate culture. A good example of our digital services is the Lumo web store, which now accounts for the rental of more than 300 apartments per month. The objective of our company is to be a housing investment company known for its excellent customer experience and producing excellent financial results.
We want to deliver an excellent customer experience every day. The customer experience consists of our code of conduct, our professional skill, our customer service attitude and our desire to solve the customer’s problems all at once.
|Net rental income, M€||53.4||55.8||106.0||116.5||222.0|
|Profit before taxes, M€||78.5||51.0||136.8||105.3||289.7|
|Operative result, M€||25.9||31.3||52.6||65.4||116.9|
|Investment properties, M€ 1)||4,423.0||3,607.8||4,298.9|
|Financial occupancy rate, %||96.4||97.0||96.6||96.9||97.4|
|Interest-bearing liabilities, M€ 2)||2,460.0||1,713.4||2,122.8|
|Return on equity, % (ROE)||11.5||9.8||12.9|
|Return on investments, % (ROI)||7.6||7.1||8.8|
|Equity ratio, %||38.8||43.6||40.7|
|Loan to Value, % 2) 3)||46.6||38.9||47.1|
|Earnings per share, €||8.40||5.58||14.73||11.53||31.38|
|Equity per share, €||260.82||238.10||251.20|
|Gross investments, M€||64.4||46.2||129.4||89.9||696.0|
|Number of personnel, end of period||333||321||286|
|1) Including items held for sale|
|2) Does not include items held for sale|
|3) The calculation formula is changed 2017 and the comperative figures adjusted to corresbond to the current calculation method|
Outlook for Kojamo
Kojamo estimates that in 2017, net rental income will be EUR 208-220 million. Investments in new development and housing stock acquisitions are forecast to exceed EUR 300 million. Kojamo estimates that, in 2017, its operative result will be EUR 96-107 million. The outlook takes into account the effects of both the significant housing divestments carried out in 2016 and the housing divestments and acquisitions planned for 2017, the estimated occupancy rate and the number of apartments under construction.
Jani Nieminen, CEO, tel. +358 20 508 3201
Erik Hjelt, CFO, tel. +358 20 508 3225
Kojamo plc focuses on real estate investments in Finland, renewing rental housing in order to make it increasingly attractive. The company develops Lumo homes and services that promote work-related mobility in the urbanising Finland, increase well-being and protect the environment. Over the past five years, the Group has invested nearly EUR 1.5 billion in commercial rental housing. www.kojamo.fi/en